Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Doctoral Journey


You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.
Clay P. Bedford

The quote above was used in a discussion a few months back and after reading it again I find it is just as true today as it was then. I am currently in my second week of an Organization Development course.  Honestly, before starting this course I was weary, and in many ways I still am.  I am constantly reminding myself to 'do the next thing'.  Every journey is a series of smaller steps.  No one finishes a marathon with three quick sprinted strides.

The doctoral journey is a long, arduous process.  As I entered the journey I was proud, eager to show I was worthy enough, smart enough, intelligent enough, and studious enough to become a "doctor". But the insecurities surface.  The information is, at times, confusing, complicated, baffling, and obscure. The doubts creep in: I am not smart enough, intelligent enough...  So the insecurities and doubts are hidden away and suffered in private. 

PERFECTION is the aim, one that is typically unattainable and unachievable.  But perfection should not be the objective.  CURIOSITY and CONTINUED LEARNING should be the targets.  Learning is a PROCESS, one that takes determination, perseverance, patience, diligence, and strength.  Lucky for me, the strength does not always have to come from myself.  

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.


No comments:

Post a Comment